Re: Copyright, Patent Expirations [Was: Re: GNU License and Computer Break Ins]

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 01:51:13PM -0400, Chloe Hoffman wrote:
> [stuff deleted]
>
> And, as for Brian's comment, I would note that U.S. copyrights are expiring
> everyday. That said, I see his concern and agree there has to be some limit
> on copyright term extensions (in the U.S. and worldwide). Otherwise, in the
> U.S. context, the "limited times" wording of the U.S. Constitution becomes
> meaningless. The only effective way I think something can be done is to
> educate the public on the importance of public domain works and to move
> public opinion so that legislators don't enact such laws or put limits on
> such laws (e.g. no retroactive effect). Term extensions have occurred
> throughout history and a U.S. court ruling that the most recent extension
> violates some law could put U.S. copyright (and perhaps worldwide copyright)
> into jeopardy (not that some or perhaps many would be upset about that
> prospect). Moreover, enacting some law today to prevent future copyright
> term extensions won't help when some later legislature repeals the law.
> Thus, the need to get the public on-side now and in the future.

The vast majority of US copyrights that were previously set to expire
between 1998 and 2018 have been extended by another 20 years. As a result,
only a very tiny number of works will enter the public domain in the US
during the next 20 years.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@ristuccia.com