Re: Possible copyright violation wrt SNNS

Package: snns
Severity: important

Hi Stephen,

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 03:49:54PM -0500, Stephen R. Gore wrote:
> I've been doing sparc binary builds for non-free, and reading the
> copyright/changelog files as I go.  I have a question wrt SNNS.
>
> From the license:
>
> 	"In contrast to the GNU license we do not allow  modified copies of our
> 	software  to  be  distributed.  You  may,  however,   distribute  your
> 	modifications  as separate  files (e.g. patch files)  along  with  our
> 	unmodified SNNS  software.

You are right :( It seems like I can't distribute the binaries created from
the modified source. The license does not at all refer to binary distributions
but I think I am in violation with the license here.

This opens a release critical but on snns until that is resolved. If somebody
from -legal agrees that I can't modify the source than we have to get this
out of potato...

> To me, it appears as if the software has been modified.  (Indeed, I could
> even see where packaging the software might be considered "modifying", but
> I'm more concerned with the actual changes to source files.)

Agreed. We must be very careful with this.

Torsten (who hates maintaining non-free software *sigh*)