Re: GPL'ed libs -- oil and water?

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 12:05:06AM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> If I write a program that links to a GPL'ed library, what licenses may I use?
> Am I "stuck" with the GPL?

No.

You can use anything that isn't more restrictive than the GPL.  [However,
as long as your program incorporates GPLed code, distribution of the
binaries -- or any other form of the whole thing, like the complete
source -- must happen under GPLed terms.]

So, you could use the BSD or X licenses for example.  In either of these
cases the license on the code you would write could become proprietary,
but until the GPLed code is replaced you couldn't actually have working
copies of the proprietary code.

Is that what you're trying to do?  [Use GPLed libs in the development
of code that can become proprietary?]

Thanks,

--
Raul