Re: [GPL] No linking with proprietary programs: where?

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 02:40:33PM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thursday 16 March 2000, at 14 h 17, the keyboard of Marcus Brinkmann
> <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
>
> > I think exactly the opposite: It doesn't matter if you use piping, linking,
> > exec() or whatever.
>
> Surely, we must have a limit somewhere! If I write a GPL HTTP server, I certainly want the not-GPL-compatible browsers to be able to legally query it.

*Sigh*. I don't talk about usage, but about redistribution in a work as a
whole. If I write a GPL HTTP server, and you write a not-GPL browser which
only works with my HTTP server, and bundle both as a work as a whole, I
might get upset.

However, this depends a lot on the exact details.

Thanks,
Marcus