Re: [GPL] No linking with proprietary programs: where?

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 01:32:37PM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 March 2000, at 15 h 32, the keyboard of Marcus Brinkmann
> <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
>
> > Also, there is no advertised interface for piping. (a pipe is just a byte
> > stream).
>
> So piping between GPL and not-GPL-compatible is OK, but Corba (which uses an
> IDL file) or popen (which uses the documented "usage") is not?

I didn't say it is okay. The above should explain the quality difference in
piping and linking which makes people think that there is a difference in
copyright law. There isn't, IMNSHO.

I think exactly the opposite: It doesn't matter if you use piping, linking,
exec() or whatever.

Thanks,
Marcus