Re: GPLv3 suggestion to solve KDE/QT problem and others

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 04:19:08AM +0200, Adi Stav wrote:
> There was a reason why the FSF recommended allowing users to apply
> future versions of the GPL, and this is exactly it. It's a safety
> valve for use in case when the world changes and the old version of
> the GPL is no longer as good.

Based on what I've read, I'd think that GPLv3 would probably get rid of
the special exception which allows the use of GPLed code on proprietary
operating systems.

I certainly don't think it's reasonable to expect that the GPL would
change in a fashion where modifications to a part of a program can't be
distributed under the GPL.

Nor do I expect it's reasonable to expect the GPL to change in a fashion
which would allow Troll to re-release GPLed code under whatever license
they choose.

You'll note that your suggestion would have to be equivalent to one of
these cases.

--
Raul