Re: GPLv3 suggestion to solve KDE/QT problem and others

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 03:15:40AM +0200, Adi Stav wrote:
> It appears that the easiest way to solve many license incompatibility
> problems involving the GPL and other free licenses would be to add a
> new version of the GPL, since that would not be difficult (unlike
> rewriting huge projects) and because the people who actually have the
> power to do that support our ends (unlike the KDE team and Troll).

Flawed premise.  I would be offended if the next version of the GPL
allowed people to use my software with stuff I didn't intend when I wrote
it.  So obviously a change to the GPL which allows KDE to suddenly be a
non-issue doesn't support my ends.

I want a solution to the KDE problem as much as anyone, but not if it
means changing the GPL just for KDE.  No way.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

"What does this tell me?  That if Microsoft were the last software
company left in the world, 13% of the US population would be scouring
garage sales & Goodwill for old TRS-80s, CPM machines & Apple ]['s before
they would buy Microsoft. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement."
        -- Seen on Slashdot