Re: Copyright lawyers analysis of Andreas Pour's Interpretation

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 01:21:13PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Now if Bob receives a copy from Alice, Alice has specifically given
> him permission (in term 2) to ``modify [his] copy [...] of the Program or
> any portion of it [...] and copy and distribute such modifications or work
> under the terms of section 1'', in which case he can modify and distribute
> Qt (a porton of the complete source code Alice gave him) as long as he:
>
> 	* adds prominent notices about his changes
> 	* distributes it under terms 1 and 2 of the GPL
> 		(under Andreas' interpretation people can't make binaries
> 		 based on his alterations)
> 	* makes it display a note when run interactively.

There's a limitation on that last point.  If the original code did not,
you don't have to make yours do it.  =>

> Unfortunately Alice doesn't have the right to give him this permission,
> because she is only licensed to distribute Qt under the QPL, so Bob may
> only ``make modifications to [Qt] and distribute [his] modifications,
> in a form that is separate from [Qt]''.

I really wish they'd (Troll Tech would, that is) change that line.  =p

At any rate, I still believe that were the QPL otherwise not contradictory
to sections 1 and 2 of the GPL, all would be fine.  Section 1 covers
verbatim copying which the QPL permits so I won't address it.

IMO the contentions lie solely in section 2 of the GPL.  Satisfy those
requirements and the license would be compatible with the GPL.

(this is all of course highly off-topic in terms of KDE...  This problem
belongs to the KDE team, not to Troll Tech.  It's easy to ask Troll Tech
to step in because they're in a convenient position to do so, but if they
_do_ step in, it's because they choose to rather than they need to..)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

"Pacific Bell Customer Service, this is [..], how can I provide you with
excellent customer service today?"
"HAHAHAHAHA!!  That's good, I like it.."
"Um, thanks, they make us say that."
        -- knghtbrd and a pacbell rep, name removed to protect her job