Re: New OPL Draft

Branden Robinson wrote:

> Free software has become so successful that the arguments about what it can
> and cannot accomplish are being held about things that arguably aren't
> software at all.  Documentation, polymodels, sound effects, fonts -- we
> need a way to separate the free wheat from the proprietary chaff in all of
> these cases.

I believe the success is not directly of free software, but of the
principles underpinning free software. Unlike the software, the
principles are quite generic, technology independent and readily
applicable to other domains.

The concepts of liberty, synergy and empowerment made possible through
active sharing of creative idea within a community are ones that many
people in many varied walks of life are beginning to appreciate.

I see no reason to assume, without test, that significant differences in
implementation of those principles should be made in the translation to
other domains.

Terry

--
Penguin Radio? http://radio.linux.org.au/
<><    Tux: thrives on "e-Fish & C"   ><>