Re: KDE not in Debian?

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 01:25:08AM -0500, Andreas Pour wrote:
> > Troll Tech indicates it is their intention to catch people who are not
> > distributing code to cough up a copy.
>
> Well, if that were the case, why does Section 6 kick in only when there is a
> distribution?

Because the person who put it there as written didn't consider that?  It
sure wasn't considered when the argument about it happened a year ago.

> >  Stark contrast to what you claim
> > here.  Their intent seems to be about 9/10 of what a license on a piece of
> > software means in the US at least, based on what little case law there is
> > on the matter.
>
> That may be, but it's not their "inner thoughts" that count, but their intent
> *as evidenced by the language chosen in the contract".  So since Section 6
> clearly indicates there must first be a distribution, that's their intent.  No
> shortage of case law on that.

There's also no shortage of case law which seems to indicate that
regarding a software license, what the Copyright holder wants a license to
mean is what it means.

All of this is totally irrelivant.  It's still a point of contention with
the GPL any way you slice it as written.  I do not see the relevance of
this subthread to the main issue at hand, other than just arguing for the
sake of argument.  I haven't got time for that.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

2.3.1 has been released. Folks new to this game should remember that
2.3.* releases are development kernels, with no guarantees that they
will not cause your system to do horrible things like corrupt its
disks, catch fire, or start running Mindcraft benchmarks.
        -- Slashdot