Re: KDE not in Debian?

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 07:06:04PM -0800, David Johnson wrote:
> > > Section 6c, which talks about giving a copy to Troll Tech, only applies
> > > to section 6, which is concerned with distribution. Basically, if and
> > > only if you distribute such a program, then Troll Tech also gets a copy
> > > if they ask. The QPL is completely silent on personal uses, disallows
> > > "private" distributions, and is hunky-dory with public distributions.
> >
> > Troll Tech indicates it is their intention to catch people who are not
> > distributing code to cough up a copy.  Stark contrast to what you claim
> > here.  Their intent seems to be about 9/10 of what a license on a piece of
> > software means in the US at least, based on what little case law there is
> > on the matter.
>
> The only thing I am claiming is what is written in the license, since I
> have nothing else to go by. But I am curious, how do they intend to find
> out which people are not distributing code?

You pose an interesting question, one I think has been asked.  I don't
recall if there as an answer, much less if it was a good one.  =>

> How could they possibly know? I think what they are attempting to do
> with Section 6c is to eliminate "private" distributions. The Corel beta
> test comes to mind.  IMHO, it's a lot less irksome than those freeware
> licenses that say "for personal use only."

Right, but it's still a GPL compatibility contention as written.  It can
be REwritten to say exactly what you interpret it to say without
conflicting with the GPL.  I'll offer language which I believe would do
that if it'll actually be given a fair reading...  (and I also want people
to check it for GPL compatibility in case I miss something...)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

* Culus fears perl - the language with optional errors