Re: kde and debian a long love story :)

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 09:46:33PM -0100, Anthony wrote:
> Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> wrote in
> >
> >And, you have to ask yourself:  Why?
> >
> >And the answer, I think, is that if they did, the pieces of software
> >which weren't originally written for Qt would stand out.  And, a KDE with
> >those pieces missing would be a lot less attractive than KDE as a whole.

I heard a major KDE developer saying exactly this: Acknowledging that there
is a licensing problem would exclude all third party GPL code from their use.

> So what exactly do they need to do ? "a reasonably solid statement of
> permission"

A notice added to the copyright.

> contact all kde developer to do so ?

Of course the permission of all copyright holders is necessary.

> Maybe asking them to LGPL is easier... We should propose them both
> solution.

Neither is easier, although using the LGPL would make sure they get it right.

> >In the mean time, we wait.
> No more :)

The worst thing about this is that enthusiastic people like you spend their
time on this without reaching anything. (Well, but maybe in your case it is
different, who knows.)

Thanks,
Marcus