Re: Is new license of libjcode-perl DFSG-free?

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 12:07:28AM +0900, Masayuki Hatta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now I'm talking with the author of jcode.pl(libjcode-perl, currently in
> non-free) about changing its license.  Recently he gave me the draft of new
> license for it.  It goes like:
>
> ;# Use and redistribution for ANY PURPOSE are granted as long as all
> ;# copyright notices are retained.
Okay.

> Redistribution with functional
> ;# modification is allowed provided that you demonstrate your
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^
What does this mean? If you have to show him you modification, that would
make it not DFSG free.

> ;# modification and make your modified version distinguishable from
> ;# the original one.  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS
> ;# IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE DISCLAIMED.
Okay.

> Is this DFSG-free?  I think he is pretty cooperative, so there may be
> a chance to change it.
Besides the requirement that you demonstrate your modification, it's fine.
I don't know what he was trying to say there, though.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
This message property of the Secret Masters. Unauthorized