Re: Open Content Licence is non-free?

On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 11:47:13PM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> a new documentation package of min has been rejected by ftpadmin:
>
>   The license's restrictions on distribution for money make it non-free.
>
> Well, the license is the OpenContent License, see
> www.opencontent.org
>
> I thought (and this is what I remember from a thread in
> debian-policy), that the license is DFSG-complient, no?

Paragraph 1 has this text:

   You may
   at your option charge a fee for the media and/or handling involved in
   creating a unique copy of the OC for use offline, you may at your
   option offer instructional support for the OC in exchange for a fee,
   or you may at your option offer warranty in exchange for a fee. You
   may not charge a fee for the OC itself. You may not charge a fee for
   the sole service of providing access to and/or use of the OC via a
   network (e.g. the Internet), whether it be via the world wide web,
   FTP, or any other method.

The first part only allows distribution for money if it's "for use offline".
This forbids distribution for money over a network.  Either makes
it non-free.

Richard Braakman