Re: SNNS: does it really belong into non-free?

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 09:54:34AM +0200, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
> According to Joey the offending section is:
>
>  4. If you distribute copies of SNNS you may not charge anything
>     except the cost for the media and a fair estimate of the costs of
>     computer time or network time directly attributable to the
>     copying.

And he is right!

> In my understanding this doesn't say anything about charging for
> derived work not even about charging for installation nor charging for
> anything bundled with SNNS on the same media, but I am no US lawyer.

So what? Free means also I can take SNNS, burn it on the CD and sell it for
1000$. The above snippet prevents this.

Anyway, even if this were not the case, it *does* infect everything you sell
along SNNS. "if you distribute ...SNNS... you may not charge anything except"

This is as non-free as many other licenses of this sort.

Thanks,
Marcus