Re: Corel's apt frontend

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 11:43:12AM -0500, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman <wichert@liacs.nl> writes:
> > Previously Henning Makholm wrote:
> > > That's knowledge. Facts are not copyrightable, only particular
> > > expressions of facts are.
> > Such as a particular way to express the format for the intermediate languag=
> > e?
> No, file formats are not copyrightable, only actual files.
> Otherwise clones of proprietary packages with proprietary file
> formats would be in violation of copyright.

I think you'll find this varies from country to country. There was a
case in Australia a while ago about copyright applying to an invented
spreadsheet language, that held up I believe. I /believe/ the laws have
been changed since, though.

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds