Re: jdk1.1 license changes

On Sat, Oct 30, 1999 at 08:49:04PM -0700, Stephen Zander wrote:
> The attached file will be part of the jdk1.1 upload entering Incoming
> some time later tonight.  I trust it resolves bugs #37599 & #40696.

> The GNU/Debian linux distribution of the Java(tm) Development Kit is
> subject to the following additional terms and conditions:

What the hell is "GNU/Debian linux"????

> 2.  Persuant to clause 1.2 in the Source License, I hereby give
> permission for Debian to make unlimited electronic copies of the
> Java(tm) Devlopment Kit for archival and distribution purposes only.

Well, here it is "Debian", which hopefully means us anyway, so I guess it's
okay... (what does "persuant" mean, btw?)

> 1.1 Sun grants to you ("Licensee") a nontransferable, nonexclusive,
> royalty-free, limited license to use a copy of the Java Source Code
> ("Licensed Software") in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia
> and the European Union (constituted as of the Effective Date), at the
> location identified below,

Erh, what about Russia? What about India, Korea, Vietnam? What about China?
What about the all the small isles on the world?

Where are our non-free mirrors?

If this is superceeded by point 2. above, point 2. above should probably say
so.

Anyway, this license scares the hell out of me. I am sure it's well meaning,
but compared with most other licenses in Debian, it's really cutting the
edge of what is legal for us in many areas.

Thanks,
Marcus
going back to work on GNU/Debian hurd. ;)