Re: Corel's apt frontend

David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu> writes:

> > (This case seems similar to the one
> > where Next wanted to ship GCC with their own Objective-C frontend, but
> > not to release the frontend under the GPL.  RMS had his laweyrs write
> > to them and Next changed their mind.)

> But the frontend actually has to be linked to GCC.

I always wondered - if NeXT really had been serious about going
proprietary with their front end, what would have stopped them
from creating

- a fully GPL'ed GCC fork which had the ability to dynamically link
  to third party "plug-ins" for doing front-end stuff, using some
  appropriate open interface

plus

- a proprietary, binary-only Objective-C plug-in?

--
Henning Makholm                               "... turning pussies into pies
                                                      Wouldn't do in my shop