Re: opencontent licence DFSG free?

On Oct 18, Jens Ritter wrote:
> What about this?
>
>     Any publication in standard (paper) book form shall require the
>     citation of the original publisher and author. The publisher and
>     author's names shall appear on all outer surfaces of the book. On
>     all outer surfaces of the book the original publisher's name shall
>     be as large as the title of the work and cited as possessive with
>     respect to the title.
>
> (from http://www.ora.com/catalog/debian/chapter/appf_01.html)
>
> Isn´t this an advertising clause like the BSD license had?
> This would be bad and make it non-free, doesn`t it?
>
> I wonder if it is enforceable, because every book has got 6 outer
> surfaces and its hard to get the information requested on the side
> which opens up... *eg*

I don't think it's an "advertising clause" in the sense of the BSD
advertising clause.  It's more like a reasonable disclosure clause
(i.e. telling people what they're buying).

I assume "all outer surfaces" is a publishing term for the covers and
spine.

(Also, I'd check to see if this clause is in the "release" OPL at the
Open Content website.  The book is licensed under ANY version of the
OPL, and the latest versions are a lot less strict in terms of
attribution and limiting the freedom of derived works.)

Chris
|         Chris Lawrence        |        Get Debian GNU/Linux CDROMs        |
|    <quango@watervalley.net>   |       http://www.lordsutch.com/cds/       |
|    Grad Student, Pol. Sci.    |    Join the party that opposed the CDA    |
|   University of Mississippi   |             http://www.lp.org/            |