Re: license question

On Oct 04, Joey Hess wrote:
> 5) You may modify the program in any way you wish provided that all of the
>    following conditions are met.
>    i) Any modification in the source code is clearly marked as such;
>   ii) No modification is made to my documentation;
>       [Any documentation needed on your changes must therefore be made in a
>       separate file].

This point is in the "is documentation required to DFSG-compliant"
debate zone.  I don't know how to address this (especially since there
is documentation in main that isn't DFSG-free; I'm pretty sure Linux
Gazette isn't, but I could be wrong, and early LDP stuff has a
non-DFSG-free license).

>    v) Any HTML output includes a link to the analog home page.

Sounds like "Buttonware" (ref. Zope discussion); I think it's also a
borderline case.

The remainder seems acceptable, although most of the disclosure terms
seem rather heavy-handed ("Hi, I'll run some stats for you, but first
let me lecture you on the license of the program I'm using...").

IANAL.  #include <std/disclaimer.h>  * batteries not included.

Chris
|         Chris Lawrence          |           Visit my home page!           |
|    <quango@watervalley.net>     |     http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/     |
|  Political Scientist Wanna-be   |   This address has been spam-proofed.   |
|    University of Mississippi    |    All spam goes to your postmaster.    |