Re: Another license from the big boys: AT&T

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 01:43:20PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> "Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu> writes:
> > Looks a little more open than the some other big-company licenses.
>
> Hm, I don't think so.

that's why I brought it to this groups attention. Lot's more experience
interpreting licenses than I have.

<snipped nice list of shortcomings from Henning>

Ah, I see. I must admit my eyes glazed a bit by the time I got to the
relicensing template.

BTW, (especially for Bruce, since he mentioned starting direct contacts
with AT&T on this), there is a FAQ in the package of software itself
that deals with licensing questions. I presume that, while not legally
binding, its contents do show the actual intent of what they're trying
to accomplish. I'll quote it here, so y'all don't have to contaminate
yourself by opening the software 'capsule' (that's AT&T's new term for
a shar packaged tarball):

Ross

--------------8<---------- snip here ----------8<-------------

AT&T GraphViz (gviz) Source License FAQ    17 June 1999

Q1.	Can I modify the source and distribute it to someone else?
A1.	Yes, but you need to package the modifications separately,
usually as a patch file.

Q2.	Can I give the original source capsule to someone else?
A2.	You can, provided that the person you give it to has agreed to
these same conditions.	The person does not have to physically sign the
license, but they must affirmatively agree to the same license agreement
that you have.	We have enclosed this agreement with the package.

Q3.	If I make changes to the source, can I keep them private?
A3.	You can as long as you do not distribute them to anyone else.
If you distribute them to anyone else, then you need to make the changes
available to AT&T and give AT&T the right to distribute these changes
without any royalties.

Q4.	What types of changes must I make available to AT&T?
A4.	You only need to inform AT&T of changes to the source code files
that are provided by AT&T.

Q5.	Can I distribute copies of binaries, compiled from the original
or modified source, within and outside my company or organization?
A5.  Yes.  The binaries should include the notice set forth in the
agreement indicating that some of the underlying source code came
from AT&T.

Q6.	Can I sell binaries?
A6.	Yes, provided that if you sell and provide support for comparable
software products, you should provide similar support for such binaries.

Q7.	Are there any patents that would affect the use of this software?
A7.	The agreement allows you to use the AT&T source code (within the
guidelines set forth in the agreement) without worrying about whether
such usage infringes any patents AT&T may have.  AT&T, however, cannot
assure that the software does not infringe some other unknown third
party's patents, which is why AT&T asks that you check the website
http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz for any notices relating
to the software.

Q8.	Does AT&T provide support for any of this software?
A8.	AT&T does not provide support for the source code at this time.

Q9.	Can I get a license that allows me to redistribute the
source files outside the capsule, e.g. in a CD-ROM file system.
A9.  Please contact AT&T if you are interested in a license that differs
from the terms in the source code agreement, or if you have any questions
regarding the agreement.

NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer