Re: (Fwd) Re: [awansink@ke.com.au: Re: Isn't a kde version of abiw

 On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 09:00:22PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Um.. no... it's more like:

> developers to debian-legal: "Is the GPL compatible with QT?  I.e., is
> it legal to link GPL'd code to QTv2?"

> Debian-legal to developers: "Not that we can see.  QT and GPL are
> incompatible".

> I consider it a rather unfortunate side effect of the GPL that it is
> so restrictive of what can link with it.  Ideally, for GPL v3, any
> code which is DFSG free could be linked with GPL code.  Currently this
> is not the case.

Why doesn't QTv2 fall under the "system" clause? Afterall, we know
several GPL:d apps that link them on motif, for example ddd.

to quote GPL:

"the source code distributed need not include
anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
operating system"

QTv2 will be normally distributed with OS, as it will be in the
main.

--
Riku Voipio  	       |    riku.voipio@iki.fi         |
Poutamäentie 15 B 78   |    +358 50 3313498          --+--