Re: (Fwd) Re: [awansink@ke.com.au: Re: Isn't a kde version of abiw

(This is sent to both debian-legal and debian-devel, because the mail
I'm replying to was, and I'm seeing this mistake made far too often
to leave it uncorrected.)

Riku Voipio wrote:
> Why doesn't QTv2 fall under the "system" clause?

It might, but that will make no difference.  That clause would let other
people distribute GPL'd programs linked with Qt.  It wouldn't help us.

> Afterall, we know several GPL:d apps that link them on motif,
> for example ddd.
>
> to quote GPL:
>
> "the source code distributed need not include
> anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
> form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
> operating system"

You left out the rest: "... on which the executable runs, unless that
component itself accompanies the executable".

We won't be able to have both Qt and that program in main.  One or the
other.  That's not very useful.

Richard Braakman