Re: APSL Hidden Nasty's

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 05:36:57PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > > AFAIK, minors aren't allowed to violate a copyright any more than any one
> > > else.  It would be nice to hear a lawyer on this, though.
> >
> > Minors can not legally be held to contracts in the US, however in the
> > real world you just watch as this big corporate finds some excuse to sue
> > their parents....
>
> Hmm..
>
> I know that the law protects minors from the effects of signed contracts
> (although I don't know the details), but I'm pretty damn sure that a minor
> cannot indiscriminately photocopy books without fear of recrimination..

But in the case of a book there's no license.  The only contract is the
contract of handing the person behind the counter money and receiving a
product.  This is about the only contract I have seen upheld in court if
entered into by a minor without a guardian..

"...It was a lot faster than I thought it was going to be, much faster
than NT.  If further speed increases are done to the server for the final
release, Oracle is going to be able to wipe their ass with SQL SERVER and
hand it back to M$ while the Oracle admins ... migrate their databases
over to Linux!"