Re: APSL Hidden Nasty's

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Joseph Carter wrote:

> > > Minors can not legally be held to contracts in the US, however in the
> > > real world you just watch as this big corporate finds some excuse to sue
> > > their parents....
> >
> > Hmm..
> >
> > I know that the law protects minors from the effects of signed contracts
> > (although I don't know the details), but I'm pretty damn sure that a minor
> > cannot indiscriminately photocopy books without fear of recrimination..
>
> But in the case of a book there's no license.  The only contract is the
> contract of handing the person behind the counter money and receiving a
> product.  This is about the only contract I have seen upheld in court if
> entered into by a minor without a guardian..

There is a license.

I quote from the book in my hands

"Copyright (c) 1997,1996 O'Reilly and Associates, Inc. All rights
reserved."

Thats a license.  The most restrictive around.

Now, you don't know the answer here, and neither do I.  You don't think
licenses are enforceable on minors.  I find that hard to believe.  I
suggest we wait until someone else comes along who can clear this up.

Jules