Re: Recently released QPL

On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 03:24:04PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 10:12:17PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > > At the moment, there's still a problem where [oversimplified:] the QPL
> > > requires that whenever you distribute the program you give Troll a copy.
> >
> > That makes it non-free.. *sigh*. Is this the only issue that makes these
> > two licenses incompatible?
>
> Oversimplified doesn't BEGIN to describe it.  I'd go as far to say
> grossly inaccurate and otherwise not true.  The EXACT WORDING is far less
> sinister:

[...]

What about the other issue, that the original copyright holder (in case of
Qt that's Troll Tech) can relicense the modifications (I hope I didn't mess
this up, it's from memory). This clause was intended (if I have this right,
excuse me if not) to make non-free license of Qt still possible.

That would make QPL and GPL incompatible, because this restriction is not
allowed with GPL'ed software.

I apologize if I got this wrong, I am offline right now and can't check in a
quote here.

Thanks,
Marcus