Re: GPLed gettext.

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

> Ok, so the gettext version currently in Incoming (which still has many
> files saying "this is LGPLed") is illegal, right?

No. Many of the standard GNU source trees come this way by themselves
(bundled with sources from various GNU libs with the original LGPL
references intact). Debian distributes them happily.

The LGPL clause that allows this is probably section 6 which allows
one to build and distribute binaries of derived works as long as the
user has enough sources or object code to replace the LGPL code in
the binary with a modified version (roughly). Distributing source,
as GPL mandates it surely fits this.

There's also a requirement to distribute the LGPL itself with the
derived work. I suppose this could be met by simply referencing the
LGPL from /usr/doc/foo/copyright in addition to GPL.

--
Henning Makholm
http://www.diku.dk/students/makholm