Re: Zope license

On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 07:45:44PM -0700, Anthony Fok wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 10:30:22PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > A 'field of endeavour' is something orthogonal to that.  For example,
> > manufacturing weapons.  Selling slaves.  Making hamburgers.
>
> Thanks for raising this point!  I have questions with Clause 6 too.  Does
> "No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor" means that a license cannot
> restrict someone from using the program in immoral/illegal/criminal
> activities?  For example, I definitely would not want anyone using Free
> Software/Open Source Software to make nuclear or biochemical weapons,
> to kill people, to commit fraud, etc.

What you consider weapons others may consider defense. What's fraud or
treason in another country you may call freedom and revolution.  No matter
how innocent you may think your restrictions under Clause 6 are, such
restrictions can people who often have dire needs from using the software.

It's not free software if everyone isn't free to use it -- whether they're
manufacturing weapons to defeat their opressive government, selling slaves
into freedom, making hamurgers, nuclear weapons, biochemical weapons, or
comitting what their government may consider fraud or treason. Clause 6 is
there for good reason. Don't tamper with it.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org