Re: Zope license

On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 04:07:00PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> From: Brian Ristuccia <brianr@osiris.978.org>
> > No. The GPL does not place any restrictions on fair use of the material. It
> > only grants extra rights provided you agree to follow some rules. The GNU
> > General Public License specifically reads: "Activities other than copying,
> > distribution and modification are not covered by this License; they are
> > outside its scope."
>
> Acknowledged. I was attempting to point out the fact that the GPL grants
> rights in return for your restricting your rights

The GPL doesn't take away any rights that you already had before accepting
the license. It only grants additonal rights in exchange for certain
conditions being met. None of the conditions you must meet in order to get
the additional rights restrict the excercise of any rights you had before
accepting the license.

This is part of what makes the GNU General Public License enforcable where
many shrinkwrap licenses are not.

> in some way in return
> (following some rules). The GPL does not place restrictions on fair use
> but this principle could (IMO) be used to do so.

This is a far cry from the zope license, which basicly says: "Here's the
software, but you can only use it a certain way if you accept this license."
Since as it currently stands may not have to accept the zope license to use
it anyway, this isn't much of an issue.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org