vim license

Hiya everyone!

I've been corresping a bit with Bram Moolenaar (vim author) about the
vim license. He just send me this text, which he thinks is DFSG-free.
I don't agree with him (especially the `you must send the maintainer a
copy, or...' part doesn't look free), but I would like any input and
proposed changes from you guys. I'll assemble them and mail them further
to Bram so we can get vim really DFSG-tree soon.

Wichert.

						*uganda* *copying*
SUMMARY
Vim is Charityware.  You can use and copy it as much as you like, but you are
encouraged to make a donation to orphans in Uganda.  See |iccf| below.

If you include Vim on a CD-ROM, I would like to receive a copy.  Just so I
know which Vim distributions exists in the world (and to show off to my
friends :-)).

DETAILS
There are no restrictions on distributing an unmodified copy of Vim,
on a CD-ROM or in any other way.  Parts of Vim may also be distributed, but
this text must always be included.  You are allowed to include executables
that you made from the unmodified Vim sources, your own usage examples and Vim
scripts.

If you distribute a modified version of Vim, you must send the maintainer a
copy, including the source code.  Or make it available to the maintainer
through ftp; let him know where It can be found.  If the number of changes is
small (e.g., a modified Makefile) e-mailing the diffs will do.

The maintainer preserves the right to include any changes in the official
version of Vim.  This is negotionable.  It is not allowed to distribute a
modified version of Vim without making the source code available to the
maintainer.

The current maintainer is Bram Moolenaar <Bram@vim.org>.  If this changes, it
will be announced in appropriate places (most likely www.vim.org and
comp.editors).  When it is completely impossible to contact the maintainer,
the obligation to send him modified source code is dropped.

It is not allowed to remove these restrictions from the distribution of the
Vim sources or parts of it.

- Bram

--
No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions."
		[real standing law in West Virginia, United States of America]

--/-/------ Bram Moolenaar ----- mool@oce.nl ------ Bram@vim.org -----\-\--
  \ \     www.vim.org/iccf       www.oce.com         www.vim.org      / /

----- End forwarded message -----

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl