Re: Draft new DFSG - r1.4

Raul Miller writes:
> The problem here is that this is a "use" clause.

Well, it *reads* like a use clause, anyway.  I suspect that it was intended
as a distribution clause, and what the authors mean by "base research on"
is "include some our code in your research code".  We don't know that
though.  The phrase "base research on" is too vague.

And that's the reason for the despised "legalese".  It is unambiguous.

> So I think we should put this in non-free and that the maintainer should
> contact the author for clarification on this issue.

I think we should leave it in main and contact the author for
clarification.  Try to talk them into making this a request.