Re: Considering packaging: Microsoft Web Font pack

On Sun, Dec 06, 1998 at 08:45:11AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 06, 1998 at 09:36:31AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > What they download and what they install are two different things. He said
> > "distributed in the original archive format" which was a .zip/.exe. If
> > they download a .deb, it isn't the original archive is it?
>
> When you download a .zip, it's not transferred unchanged.  There are TCP/IP
> headers added to each packet.  The file transfer protocol (FTP, HTTP, etc)
> adds stuff to it.  .deb simply adds stuff as well.  How's that different?

Come on now, let's be realistic. When you download a .zip you get a .zip.
When you download a .zip that's been packaged into a .deb, then it isn't
the original archive any longer. Pine doesn't let you distribute binaries
from modified source, you can't just say "it isn't modified we just added
stuff to it", hence the reason there are no pine binaries in debian.

make realistic comments, don't try to beat around-the-bush with a license.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org