Re: Considering packaging: Microsoft Web Font pack

On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 10:57:42PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 08:14:36PM -0600, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
> > Ben Collins writes:
> > > Then we can't do it since they will be repackaged into a .deb. Even if
> > > the .deb contains the .exe/.zip it will still be distributed in a deb
> > > package.
> >
> > So what?  Sticking the whole thing inside a .deb isn't modifying it.
>
> <quote>
> We have to redistribute the archives unmodified and in their original
> format.  This is a problem with the win32 fonts, since they're
> </quote>

I'd rather you quoted the actual license, rather than my interpretation
(though I'm flattered :))

	Installation and Use. You may install and use an unlimited
	number of copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

	Reproduction and Distribution. You may reproduce and distribute an
	unlimited number of copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT; provided that
	each copy shall be a true and complete copy, including all copyright
	and trademark notices, and shall be accompanied by a copy of this
	EULA.  Copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may not be distributed for
	profit either on a standalone basis or included as part of your own
	product.

No problem here (though it gets a bit fuzzy for the "true and complete"
part, if we weren't including the exact .exe file).

	Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly.
	You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE
	PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is
	expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this
	limitation.

I definitely wouldn't want to distribute a ripped-apart EXE file because of
this section.

	Restrictions on Alteration.  You may not rename, edit or create any
	derivative works from the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, other than subsetting
	when embedding them in documents.

I'm not sure what that means.  I think making a debian file from the
original .exe is embedding it into a document, as far as any file is a
document in Unix.

> Putting it into a .deb isn't the original archive nor is it the original
> format (of the archive). Although the original format is contained, the
> actual downloadable/distributed archive wont be.

As you can see, it's not as clear-cut as all that.

Have fun,

Avery