Re: QPL v.91

Joseph Carter [knghtbrd@debian.org] wrote:
> -   3. You may make modifications to the Software and distribute your
> -   modifications in a form distinct from the Software. The following
> +   3. You may make modifications to the Software and distribute them in a
> +   form which distinguishes them from the original Software. The following
>    restrictions apply to modifications:
>
> # Small wording fix

Small enough that I'm not sure it helps.  I think the people who were having
problems with it before will still not like this, as it still is ambigious as
to what "a form" means.  I think they will only be happy with something like:
"...form which distinguishes them from the original Software (for example, as
a patch (the preferred method) OR as source modifications clearly marked as
such)."  This makes it clear that "form" does NOT only mean "patch" or imply
only "patch" (I think they want it spelled out just HOW distinct/ distinguished
the mods have to be... a separate patch, or just marked with comments?).  I
don't know how to word that the right legal way, but I think that's what they
want to see.

> -     c. You ensure that all modifications included in the machine-executable
> -     forms are available under the terms of this license.
> +     c. You ensure that the modifications included in machine-executable
> +     forms comply with section 3 of this license.
>
> # Not so small wording fix.  4(c) has been read by a few as ambiguous with
> # section 3(b) being worded as it is.  3(b) is fine though and is nicely
> # worded <EGO>especially since I wrote it</EGO> but if we say explicitly
> # here which terms of the license we want them to follow, we clean it up
> # nicely.  (I hope.)

I wondered about that, it almost looked like it could be used as a loophole to
require that mods be released under the QPL, negating the "if" in 3(b), at
least if you wanted to ship binaries.  All clear now :)

Thanks again to Joseph and the Trolls!

--
Jeremy Blosser  |  jblosser@firinn.org  |  http://firinn.org/~jblosser