Re: Good news at Troll Tech

On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 03:48:27PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > (Beware duplication of effort - I have made essentially this reply
> > to Raul's essentially identical message on -legal).

This is going to both places, and I've set replies to go there.

> > As I read the QPL, it only says the modified works can be assimilated by
> > Troll if they are distributed under the QPL.  It doesn't say you *must*
> > distribute them under the QPL.

No, but the modifications are a part of a whole work which includes
the QPLed code, and the GPL introduces distribution restrictions which
distribution of such modifications by third parties rather problematic.
Any useful distribution of the changes is going to eventually involve
combining the modifications with the Qt code, and if you do this on a
large scale that's either distribution or contributory infringement.

Basically, it's the same old KDE+Qt problem just with different clauses
on the Qt side of things (and that the QPL no longer insists that the
GPL is a compatible license, which I think is a step in the right
direction).

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> wrote:
> 4(c) comes close to saying it.  Too close maybe.  I'll look at a fix when
> I'm more awake.  =>

That's another issue, but I'm not sure it's worth tackling.

--
Raul