Re: license requirements for a book to be in free section

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 04:44:44AM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> However, I'm not really sure whether the DFSG should also be read as
> requiring the free right to make and sell hardcopies. One could argue
> either way from the text of the DFSG, I think.
>
> If the license you quoted were to apply to a piece of software, we
> could probably assume such a permission, but I suppose it would need
> to be more explicitly worded when it comes from a publishing house - I
> doubt they would grant it, actually.

IOW, I have to explicitly ask O'Reilly editor permission to sell
hardcopies obtained from the electronic version, right?

Supposing that they don't want this, which is probably, have I to put
the book in non-free? (I have not clear the parallelism between
documentation and software: I know that if the author inhibit a sw to be
used commercially the sw must be put in non-free, but in this case I'm
not sure).

TIA, Cheers.

--
Stefano "Zack" Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it> ICQ# 33538863