Re: Current Corresponding Ubuntu Version

unsubscribe

On April 22, 2021 9:24:03 AM EDT, "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 12:35:16AM -0400, Joshua Blagden wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to install Handbrake from the official Handbrake repository so I
can get a newer version than the one in the Debian Testing repository. I
would just use the one from the Debian Testing repository, but it has a
terrible memory leak problem, to the point where if you have it render
enough previews, it'll exhaust your system's memory and quit. I think I just
need to choose the right branch of the Handbrake repository. Unfortunately,
it's geared toward Ubuntu, so you have to choose the Ubuntu codename which
corresponds to the version of Debian that you're running. I'm running Debian
Testing* and I usually update every couple days to keep everything running
smoothly. Which version of Ubuntu does Debian Testing currently correspond
to?

*Partially because I built my current system back in November and Debian
Stable didn't have a new enough kernel and GPU drivers for my system - MSI
B550 Gaming Plus, AMD Ryzen 5600X, Sapphire RX 5600 XT.

Thanks,

        Josh Blagden

First things first - check your /etc/apt/sources.list

It's probably a good idea to change anything that says "testing" to
something that says bullseye right now- that way, when Bullseye gets released
(possibly within the month) you won't end up with a huge churn as
Testing points to Bookworm and begins another two years of churn.

To clarify, what you probably need is somethin close to this

#

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye/updates main contrib non-free

# bullseye-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free

# This system was installed using small removable media
# (e.g. netinst, live or single CD). The matching "deb cdrom"
# entries were disabled at the end of the installation process.
# For information about how to configure apt package sources,
# see the sources.list(5) manual.

Current Ubuntu - 21.04 - will probably have been based on a mixture of
Debian unstable/testing.

To be honest - always take Debian native packages if you can: you really
don't want to be mixing things and creating a FrankenDebian.

Hope this helps,

Andy C.

--
Mastodon: @jackanapesm8@fosstodon.org