Re: Current Corresponding Ubuntu Version

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 12:35:16AM -0400, Joshua Blagden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Handbrake from the official Handbrake repository so I
> can get a newer version than the one in the Debian Testing repository. I
> would just use the one from the Debian Testing repository, but it has a
> terrible memory leak problem, to the point where if you have it render
> enough previews, it'll exhaust your system's memory and quit. I think I just
> need to choose the right branch of the Handbrake repository. Unfortunately,
> it's geared toward Ubuntu, so you have to choose the Ubuntu codename which
> corresponds to the version of Debian that you're running. I'm running Debian
> Testing* and I usually update every couple days to keep everything running
> smoothly. Which version of Ubuntu does Debian Testing currently correspond
> to?
>

> *Partially because I built my current system back in November and Debian
> Stable didn't have a new enough kernel and GPU drivers for my system - MSI
> B550 Gaming Plus, AMD Ryzen 5600X, Sapphire RX 5600 XT.
>

> Thanks,
>
>         Josh Blagden

First things first - check your /etc/apt/sources.list

It's probably a good idea to change anything that says "testing" to
something that says bullseye right now- that way, when Bullseye gets released
(possibly within the month) you won't end up with a huge churn as
Testing points to Bookworm and begins another two years of churn.

To clarify, what you probably need is somethin close to this

#

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye/updates main contrib non-free

# bullseye-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free

# This system was installed using small removable media
# (e.g. netinst, live or single CD). The matching "deb cdrom"
# entries were disabled at the end of the installation process.
# For information about how to configure apt package sources,
# see the sources.list(5) manual.

Current Ubuntu - 21.04 - will probably have been based on a mixture of
Debian unstable/testing.

To be honest - always take Debian native packages if you can: you really
don't want to be mixing things and creating a FrankenDebian.

Hope this helps,

Andy C.