buster = slow laptop?

Hi people,

I'm asking your advice here because since upgrading from stretch to
buster, my laptop has "become slow" by which I mean applications take
longer to open, new windows take several seconds to complete drawing on
the desktop and there's a noticeable lag when I use the mouse to select
text (you can see the text becoming highlighted one char at a time).

I wonder, is one of the new features in buster (e.g. ACLs) too taxing on
my old machine, and if so can I turn it off?

The machine in question is a ThinkPad T500, core2duo processor 2.4GHz,
with 4GB RAM and an SSD - see https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T500 .

I installed first with default Gnome desktop, then ran that without
Wayland, then switched to Mate, but none of that helped.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

--
OpenPGP key expiry date extended - refresh from pool.