Thank you (was: Re: [spam subject elided] (fwd))

Dear Alex, dear Dave, dear everyone.

Alexander Wirt - 04.12.18, 07:47:
> On Mon, 03 Dec 2018, Marvin Renich wrote:
> > * Jim Popovitch <jim@k4vqc.com> [181203 15:21]:
> > > How long should Dave wait out the problem before insulting folks?
> > > 1
> > > month, 2 months, 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, 25 years?
> >
> > The correct answer is "much longer than 25 years".
>
> He should at least wait until he gets its facts right. Afair/afaik
> there never was any offer to help or constructive help we received
> from him.

First off: Alex, thank you very much for your persistent and continued
dedication to serve the project and all of us discussing on Debian
mailinglists as a listmaster. I imagine that it can be challenging to
deal with negativity like this.

Now some random thoughts about this:

Regarding spam there for me there is one most important rule: Never
*ever* reply to spam, and never *ever* do so publicly. Why? In case of
answering privately you tell the spam sender that your mail address
exists or in case of forged from address to tell that to some other
random account. In the case of responding publicly you *highlight* the
spam.

I am highly successful with a Postscreen and rspamd based Spam-filtering
setup and I did not see the original spam at all. My mail server just
refused to receive it. Replying to the spam publicly just caused me to
see it as well and so was in dis-service for me. Recently I did not even
need any additional rules after having blocked whole domains of a mail
provider with dubious domain names after they insulted me for sending
them abuse complaints. But its mostly just my mail, I do not have the
responsibility for anyone else. So I can afford to make it more
aggressive and take a greater risk regarding false positives.

While I see rspamd as a very viable alternative to my previous Spam-
filtering setup, I am currently focused on other things than to offer
help to the listmasters. But then I accept and am grateful for all I
receive. Also I see the challenge to change the an existing setup,
especially when it is as large-scale as I'd expect the existing setup
for these mailing lists.

That written: I also complained to listmasters about a certain repeated
spam mail that appeared on almost every Debian mailing list I was
subscribed to and was not acted upon. However I learned that I am much
more at peace of mind if I just block it first with my mail server… and
then notify listmasters in a friendly and constructive way. Cause then I
do not give my power away and make my own peace of mind dependent on
what listmasters may or may not do about it.

Listmasters volunteer. They owe me *nothing*. They have a life outside
of volunteering as a listmaster.

All they give, they give freely without asking anything in return.

The most appropriate reaction to this in my eyes is gratefulness.

So again: Thank you, Alex, thank you, all listmasters for your time,
your dedication and even that you put up with all the negativity that
people who complain (including me as I did it) send towards you. I
commit to stop complaining and to start helping where I can, and even if
its just by reporting the spam mail via the web interface.

Of course I know not everyone has their own mail server, but Dave, if
you are proficient with anti spam measures and run your own mail server…
why are you even affected? My anti spam measures, and I am certainly not
an expert in this, blocked the original mail just fine. So if you do not
like to spend the time to help listmasters, how about you just fix your
own mail server not to accept mails like this in you are so proficient
with anti spam measures?

Thanks,
--
Martin