Re: Discussions about Partitioning

Hi,

Another cas where I use partitions is to avoid FS saturation on the root or important FS.
Like if a log goes crazy, we can only freeze the /var fs, and then you can still manage the system. If the / is full, it's harder to debug (seen cases where even login was impossible with 0 byte free...), and sure that system crash and potential data lost.

But sure that i work more on servers than personnal laptop :)

Interesting topic, even if i didn't have SSD for servers on recent install.

David

Le dim. 28 oct. 2018 à 15:18, Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> a écrit :
Leslie S Satenstein <lsatenstein@yahoo.com> writes:

> BTW, swap should be completely _unused_ during normal computer operation
> if you don't want a snail slow machine.
> Consider to install a swap file instead of a swap partition for the rare
> cases where you run out of physical  memory.
>
> The only situation you really want a _large_ swap is IMHO when
> developing kernel programs to get access to the whole messy system via a
> crash dump.

You might want enough swap to support hibernation.  Even if you don't
use it normally, it can be quite useful for the situations where the
battery runs out completely.

See https://wiki.debian.org/Hibernation and
https://wiki.debian.org/SystemdSuspendSedation for more details

Bjørn