Re: ThinkPad T60p X11 driver problems

Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > Fresh install of Debian Stretch 9.  X11 starts in software rendering
> > mode.  The same laptop with Ubuntu 16.04 runs with hardware rendering.
> >
> > Any hints on how what is needed for hardware rendering with this
> > hardware combination in Debian?  I am sure this hardware used to be
> > fully supported and therefore hardware support must have been dropped
> > at some point.
>
> Does
>
>  dmesg | grep radeon
>
> say anything about firmware?  Do you have the firmware-amd-graphics
> package installed (from non-free)?

Thank you!  That was the hint I needed.  Let me put the root problem
here so that the search engines can find it.

  dmesg | grep radeon
  [    4.026170] radeon 0000:01:00.0: firmware: failed to load radeon/R520_cp.bin (-2)
  [    4.026297] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for radeon/R520_cp.bin failed with error -2

There is no firmware available.  Without the firmware the radeon
adapter is not fully functional and X must run in software rendering
mode.  The firmware is available but has been removed from Stretch.

(I should have seen that myself.  I was aware of the drivers in
firmware-linux-nonfree and also firmware-iwlwifi from nonfree but not
of firmware-amd-graphics which must be a new'ish change / addition.
Thank you very much for helping lead me through the problem to see
this and to fix it.  [me kicks the ground with my head hanging down
because I should have seen this myself.] )

The solution for the X11 software rendering problem was to install
the radeon adapter firmware from the non-free section.  Add non-free
to /etc/apt/sources.list and install the radeon firmware.

  apt-get install firmware-amd-graphics

I also installed firmware-linux-nonfree (and firmware-misc-nonfree may
also be needed) so as to get the intel-microcode updates too.  And
also firmware-iwlwifi for the Intel iwl3945 wifi driver.

Thanks everyone for helping me get this system running!  Now it is
time for me to merge in the user files from backup and get this
machine back to my mechanic's wife.  She is getting anxious for it. :-)

Bob