Re: Debian on Acer Aspire E15

On 03/09/2015 05:45 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
I have a new Acer Aspire E15 that came pre-loaded with Billyware, and
after first checking it out with FreeBSD I upgraded it to Debian 7.7.0
(although I see that 8 is now out).

It sees neither the wireless nor the trackpad, although FreeBSD found them
(and I can't remember what they were); I'm told that this is because they
are proprietary devices; I wish I'd known that beforehand, but the laptop
was offered as a special deal.

Check the reference:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_debian_archive_basics

and add contrib and non-free to your package lists.

Maybe it makes sense to install the latest kernel from backports, see:

http://backports.debian.org/.

Have a nice day! :-)
J.R.