Re: Installing debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso on a partition of a Macbook 5,2

On 25.01.2014 08:36, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 6:54 AM, Daniel Landau <daniel.landau@iki.fi
> <mailto:daniel.landau@iki.fi>> wrote:
> My main questions for now are the following:
> During installation I get to the 'Host name for this system'. There's a
> 'debian' written there by default and that's what I'm using, is that OK?
> Immediately afterwards I have to set the domain name, which I set to
> .org. I really have no idea what should go there, so I put .org since
> Debian's website is .org.

You can set the host name to whatever you want, e.g., your own name or
something else. You can leave the domain name empty.

> Then I get to the partitions which are the following:
>>             3.1KB          FREE SPACE
>>   #1  204.7MB  B     fat32                  EFI System P
>>   #2  349.2GB          hfs+                   Macintosh HD
>>   #3  650.0MB          hfs+                   Recovery HD
>>         352.3KB          FREE SPACE
>>   #5  142.0GB      f
> ext4                                               /
>>   #6      4.0GB      f
> swap                                             swap
>>   #4      4.0GB  B      swap                   Linux swap
>>             1.1MB          FREE SPACE
>
> If I choose to finish with the disk partitions the next page says 'No
> EFI partition was found' and asks me whether I want to go back. My guess
> is that I should choose partition #1 for EFI since it already says 'EFI
> System P', but then I don't really know. Some partitions must be there
> from previous attempts to install Debian or some other Linux
> distribution (Ubuntu Studio or Sabayon). For example partition #4, I
> remember naming it Linux swap, but in some later attempt I set #6 as the
> swap area. Have I made a mess there?

You probably want to ask the installer to remove all partitions that are
left over from previous GNU/Linux installations. At least this
http://mennucc1.debian.net/macbook_linux_efi.html source only installed
the EFI part from an already installed Debian system. I don't have
experience with loading Debian straight from EFI, so I can't help you
there. What I have done is use rEFIt to GRUB chain loading and for me
that works fine.

Some sources for that are

https://wiki.debian.org/MacBook
https://wiki.debian.org/IntelMac/BootLoader

but both seem to be somewhat dated. It would seem that the needed steps
are at least:

1. Enable boot camp from Mac OS X
2. Install rEFIt from Mac OS X
3. Boot the Debian installer and follow it until you have configured
partitions. Then abort the installer. (I'm not sure, but you probably
are limited to one partition for Debian, as MBR has a four partition
limit. You can see https://wiki.debian.org/Swap for instructions on
using a swap file instead of a swap partition)
4. In rEFIt, choose "fix partition table" or something similarly named
(maybe "make hybrid GPT/MBR partition table")
5. Boot the Debian installer and follow it. Choose to configure the
partitions and verify that they are the same as before but nothing is
being formatted.
6. If given the choice, don't install anything EFI related on Debian,
but do install GRUB-ps to your Debian partition (should be /dev/sda4)

Hopefully this helps, and if some one else on the list knows more about
booting Debian straight with EFI, they hopefully chime in.

Daniel