Re: new laptop specs: i7 CPU, graphics card, & RAM

On 10/27/2013 09:10 AM Celejar wrote:
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 08:45:33 -0400
ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:

At long last it's time for a new laptop.  I'm planning to run a lot on
it: at least 3 VMs (Windows, Linux, and Mac) under virtualbox. plus
server stuff like apache, MySQL, a CMS or two (likely drupal and

Stuff like apache, MySQL and WordPress will use virtually no resources
when they aren't doing anything, so your question is really
unanswerable without information as to what, exactly, those services
will be doing?

Understood. At the same time, there is no way for me to say what exactly those services will be doing. The future is always kind of murky. So we're forced to speak in somewhat vague generalities. Perhaps I should have mentioned that, since it is a laptop, it's not going to serve as a production webserver, but rather for testing. And you're right that apache, MySQL, and wordpress themselves demand very little from a system. My 1.5GHz CPU handles them all quite easily. It's really some of the workstation apps that suck down the CPU sometimes to a crawl.

wordpress) in addition to a lot of 'workstation' kinds of apps like
Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP (on large photos), music- and other
audio-players, video player (to view movies on DVD), etc., etc. on the
Linux VM.

In other words, there'll be a whole lotta stuff running on this machine.
   And I want it to be responsive... not just "pretty good" and
definitely not sluggish.

On my current (nearly ancient 1500 MHz) laptop running Linux, I can do
everything "pretty good", except that when watching movies on it the
sound and video get out of sync and when I browse to some particularly
hoggish websites, the CPU load goes up to 4 or 5 or 6 or more.  I don't
want that to happen on the Linux VM on the new laptop... or on the other
VMs either.

So does anyone here run something like this?  If so, what CPU and
graphics card does your system have and how much RAM does it have?  Does
it run "pretty good"...? or slow...? or does everything come onscreen
the split-second the finger leaves the mouse button?  Can you watch

No idea what your current setup is like, but on my Core 2 Duo (2
GHz) system, running a relatively stripped down (although not a
hard-core minimalist) setup it is certainly not the case that
"everything come [s] onscreen the split-second the finger leaves the
mouse button", and I doubt this is the case even with fairly beefy
systems.

At some point, after throwing enough hardware and decent code at an executable, it's eventually going to run (how, it seems, *all* the ads say) "Blazingly Fast". The question is, how much hardware is needed to get to that point. Since my own system is by no means the fastest around and I haven't used a faster one in quite awhile, I have no idea how much hardware. That's what I'm here to find out.

What I've often noticed on my current system is that, when, e.g., a webpage is loading quite slowly (Facebook, for example), it's the CPU which is the bottleneck, not the network, not swap, not the speed of the hard drive. So this is obviously what needs improvement. Well, the graphics card could bear some responsibility, but I don't know how to measure its load/capacity.

movies and have the video and audio stay in sync? Does everything on
the web come up fast, or do some pages take awhile to render?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there will always
be "some pages that take awhile to render".

I would say that too. Given the web is such a huge collection of webpages, it's a pretty safe bet that someone's going to put something out there which is bloated beyond what is practical for all but few to read. We could say this even if we had a web client running on a 1024-node beowulf cluster.