Re: new laptop specs: i7 CPU, graphics card, & RAM

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 08:45:33 -0400
ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:

> At long last it's time for a new laptop.  I'm planning to run a lot on
> it: at least 3 VMs (Windows, Linux, and Mac) under virtualbox. plus
> server stuff like apache, MySQL, a CMS or two (likely drupal and

Stuff like apache, MySQL and WordPress will use virtually no resources
when they aren't doing anything, so your question is really
unanswerable without information as to what, exactly, those services
will be doing?

> wordpress) in addition to a lot of 'workstation' kinds of apps like
> Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP (on large photos), music- and other
> audio-players, video player (to view movies on DVD), etc., etc. on the
> Linux VM.
>
> In other words, there'll be a whole lotta stuff running on this machine.
>   And I want it to be responsive... not just "pretty good" and
> definitely not sluggish.
>
> On my current (nearly ancient 150 MHz) laptop running Linux, I can do
> everything "pretty good", except that when watching movies on it the
> sound and video get out of sync and when I browse to some particularly
> hoggish websites, the CPU load goes up to 4 or 5 or 6 or more.  I don't
> want that to happen on the Linux VM on the new laptop... or on the other
> VMs either.
>
> So does anyone here run something like this?  If so, what CPU and
> graphics card does your system have and how much RAM does it have?  Does
> it run "pretty good"...? or slow...? or does everything come onscreen
> the split-second the finger leaves the mouse button?  Can you watch

No idea what your current setup is like, but on my Core 2 Duo (2
GHz) system, running a relatively stripped down (although not a
hard-core minimalist) setup it is certainly not the case that
"everything come [s] onscreen the split-second the finger leaves the
mouse button", and I doubt this is the case even with fairly beefy
systems.

> movies and have the video and audio stay in sync? Does everything on
> the web come up fast, or do some pages take awhile to render?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there will always
be "some pages that take awhile to render".

Celejar