Re: Debian 64 on Thinkpad T61p freezes on resume from hibernation

2010/11/19 Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr>:
> Dne, 19. 11. 2010 03:14:25 je Alexey A Nikitin napisal(a):
>
>> relaunching whole bunch of programs. Still, is there any way to speed
>> up resume so that it will be at least comparable time-wise to cold
>> boot?
>>
>> Best,
>> Alexey
>> --
>> This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
>>

> Well, isn't that typical! You use recycled electrons, and then whine about
> your computer being slow!
>
> (sorry, couldn't resist)
>
> Anyway, given that your initial issue is resolved -- and obviously your
> partitions do get mounted -- the first thing to do would be to look at the
> logs. There you may find some pointers. Although, if you have like 4GB of
> RAM, and you load lots of applications, then your resume from hibernation
> will be quite long regardless.
>
> --
> Cheerio,
>
> Klistvud                             http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
> Certifiable Loonix User #481801      Please reply to the list, not to me.

Heh, that was a good one, Klistvud :)

Computer itself works uberfast with Debian on board, it's only thaw
after hibernation that I "whine" about. Haven't had enough time to go
through logs of successful hibernate/thaw cycle yet, but I find it
strange that thaw is slower than hibernation - to be more specific
machine hibernates from Fn+F12 keypress to complete poweroff in twenty
seconds, while thawing from "Loading, please wait..." in GRUB to the
KDE unlock screen takes anywhere from ~1:30 on a good weather to
almost four minutes.
Doesn't appear to depend on RAM usage, as I got almost four minutes
when hibernated right after cold boot and I got less than two minutes
when hibernated with dozen tabs in Chromium, Eclipse, VM running and
Amarok playing.  Also, I have SSD in my laptop, which are much faster
on reading than writing.

Hate to make that kind of comparison, since the two OSes are of
completely different kind, but it does take way more time for Debian
then for Windows XP x64 to thaw, the latter resuming just as fast as
hibernating.

And one more observation that I made just today when tried for the
first time to hibernate with music playing - last ~30 seconds of
thawing I got music playing again, but it kept breaking up as if there
was not enough disk throughput while disk activity indicator was
completely off.

I'll look into logs tonight or tomorrow night and will post if I find anything.

Best,

Alexey

PS: love your website.

--
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons