Terminal highlighting (ls for example) with dark background

VIM has a terriffic feature for switching to a highlighting scheme
that is fit for a dark background: ":set background=dark". Without
having to define each and every colour, is there not such a feature
for bash? I've been googling, but not finding, such a thing for some
time.

In the absence of such a feature, I would love to see how some of the
wiser amoung the list members have their colours set. I have been
playing around with it for a while, I've never come to anything really
satisfactory on the Dell laptop with it's terrible LCD screen.

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il