Re: Terminal highlighting (ls for example) with dark background

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:17:25AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> VIM has a terriffic feature for switching to a highlighting scheme
> that is fit for a dark background: ":set background=dark". Without
> having to define each and every colour, is there not such a feature
> for bash? I've been googling, but not finding, such a thing for some
> time.
>
> In the absence of such a feature, I would love to see how some of the
> wiser amoung the list members have their colours set. I have been
> playing around with it for a while, I've never come to anything really
> satisfactory on the Dell laptop with it's terrible LCD screen.
>
> Thanks!

There's no such feature in bash (and any other shell) as far as I know. I'm
using standard colorscheme with one exception - I redefined directories to be
"black on white", because default dark blue color is almost invisible on a
black background. You can get my ~/.dir_colors here[1], and it can be applied
as follows:

  eval `dircolors ~/.dir_colors`

Put this line somewhere in ~/.bashrc and enjoy!

  1. http://dumpz.org/14522/text/

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35  4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81