Re: Terminal highlighting (ls for example) with dark background

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:17:25AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> VIM has a terriffic feature for switching to a highlighting scheme
> that is fit for a dark background: ":set background=dark". Without
> having to define each and every colour, is there not such a feature
> for bash? I've been googling, but not finding, such a thing for some
> time.

I would (and do) set this up in the terminal emulator itself.  With the
Gnome terminal (and presumably Konsole too) you can have colour profiles
(there are probably a number of profiles set up already).  With xterm
and rxvt derivatives, you can set colours in your .Xresources files.

> In the absence of such a feature, I would love to see how some of the
> wiser amoung the list members have their colours set. I have been
> playing around with it for a while, I've never come to anything really
> satisfactory on the Dell laptop with it's terrible LCD screen.

You don’t have to set every colour, but I do.  I have some colour
schemes for urxvt here, mostly ripped from other terminal emulators:

http://bleah.co.uk/~simon/desktop/_Xresources.d/

Note: I include .Xresources.d/urxvt-colours in my .Xresources file.

I haven’t done this, but with urxvt I should be able to have both a
light and a dark colour scheme and be able to switch it with a key
press.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall